Old Graffiti Self Portrait





1. The art style I used for this assignment is traditional graffiti.

2. The reason why I chose this art style is because for a long time I've had a general love for it. Old or new does not matter to me. I love both. However, the main idea of my artwork is to express my childhood.
The artwork was inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat since it reminded me of a child's drawing. As you can see in my artwork my arms are up, covering my face, which I also did in the actual picture. One of the reasons I did this was because I wanted to make myself look hidden. Secondly, it would be that I didn't like how my face was looking that day so I wanted to hide all theses imperfections (little did I know that it would not have mattered anyways).
On the individual arms themselves, I made them different colours because in both periods of my life, childhood and now as a teenager. I've felt caught in the middle of the two spectrums of girl stereotypes and boy stereotypes since I was first the embodiment of a woman but there are many hobbies I liked that are boy stereotypically related to car/motorcycle racing, skiing, and video games.
The fiery hair represents how I always loved the element fire. Behind the hair you can see on the centre-right of the artwork there's a heart with an arrow through it. The meaning behind that was because of the love I experienced throughout my teenage years. I've been in three relationships that were very different from each other.  Overall, it was an experience that was very complicated since mostly all of them gave me mixed feelings, which resulted in breaking up and leaving me with an arrow in my heart forever.
Lastly, the wolverine like claws is just to show how my love for wolverine back then and now. However, now that I look at it again it shows how much imaginative I was/am because I am an only child and me never really had any friends. So I was had imaginary friends from movies and tv shows that I watched.

3. The procedure I started with for this artwork was to take a photo of myself from the DSLR camera. Next, I took the photo that I wanted to use and put it on adobe illustrator in order to achieve the desired brush/spray paint effect. Then, I started to drawing the outline of the figure. After that I started colouring the arms then doing the rest of the body. 

4. My satisfaction of my art piece, if I gave it a rating one to five. I would give it a 7 because the messiness of it and also comparing my artwork to other peers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest Image Critique